Ever since my little one turned 2 she became obsessed with play doh and fondants because she often see me decorating fondant cakes. She would always ask for a big chunk of my fondant whenever she sees me covering a cake.
Of course I couldn’t help but give in to her demands, it’s either that or I’m not going to hear the end of it. Since making fondants are way more expensive and labor intensive than making play doughs I decided to dedicate at least 35 minutes of my precious time making her her own play dough.
I’m telling you, anyone who buys this stuff is wasting money, plastic, and gasoline. My recipe below makes about 6 large cans of commercial Play Dough, guaranteed cheaper by 80%, super non-toxic, it will last for 3 weeks more or less, super easy to make and best of all very similar texture to commercial play dough !!! Grab the recipe below.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
5 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Salt
2 Tablespoon oil
Food Colorings — any type. ( I used food coloring gel instead of the water based food coloring since its more concentrated ergo it will make a more vibrant colored play dough )
1. Mix Flour and cream of tartar in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan mix salt and water and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes (do not boil ).
3. Strain the salted water to remove undissolved salt. Then add oil and flour mixture while the salted water is still hot.
4. Let is cool down a bit or just cool enough for you to handle. Knead the dough and divide it into 5 or more parts.
5. Knead in your desired food coloring to each of the divided dough. Store in an air tight container at room temperature or in the fridge overnight to “mature.
Note: I made a little amount of black play dough using the blue dough and added black food coloring and a little more flour so it won’t be sticky.